Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who goes to Adult High School?

Adults who want to upgrade credentials choose to come to Adult High School. For most learners, this means improving communication skills in English classes, numeracy skills in Math classes, and technology skills in Business classes. Adult High School operates as a regular day school with students selecting three courses from grades 9 – 12 to maintain full time status.

2. Is it semestered?

There are two semesters. Semester One starts in September and Semester Two starts in February. Call 613-239-2707 in late August or mid-January for specific registration information. If you plan to go to night school to continue your education, call OCDSB Continuing Education at 613.239.2620 or check the web site at

3. How does one get a transcript?
Former Adult High School students may visit the Student Services Department in room 301 at Adult High School to complete a request form. Transcripts may take up to five working days to prepare.

Transcript fees for Adult High School are $24.00 for the first copy and $5.00 for each extra copy.

If you have attended another school after Adult HS, call the Guidance Office of the last school you attended.

Rules and rates vary from place to place.

4. Is day care available?
To find a daycare space for your child/children, go to This website provides information and waiting lists for all licensed homeday and childcare centres in the City of Ottawa. Additional information regarding subsidies and daycare fees is also available here or by calling 3-1-1.

5. How does one find out how many credits they need to graduate?
Students will be assessed during registration. They will have the opportunity to meet with a counselor or subject specialist during registration to discuss their future destination(s) and educational plan.

6. Are “Attendance Letters” provided for outside agencies?
Attendance letters are issued after the third week of each semester. These are available in Student Services Department (Room 301). This privilege may be denied, if a student has poor attendance.

7. Can a student take one class at a time?
If a student's schedule does not allow them to take 3 courses per day, they can consider taking an e-Learning course or going through the Ministry of Education Independent Learning Centre (ILC). A student should check with a guidance counselor for an e-learning course or go to the following web site for information on how to register for an ILC:

* Continuing Education offers night school for students who wish one or two courses in a classroom setting.

8. After registration can a timetable change?
Staffing is based on student course selections. Students need to choose their courses wisely. Students who have failed a pre-requisite or passed a night school or summer school course may request a timetable change. Students who have had work or daycare schedules changed must schedule an appointment to see their counselor.

9. If a student attends Summer School, can they change their September timetable?
Students who attend Summer School must visit the Student Services Department to make a timetable change as soon as possible in September.

10. Can a student switch course levels when they want?
Department Heads may approve level changes. The classroom teacher will monitor achievement and recommend changes to the Department Head. Students who feel that the placement is not suitable must speak to the classroom (subject) teacher first.

11. What happens when a student misses a day?
When a student misses school it is their responsibility to speak to their teachers and present appropriate documentation. Documentation for special appointments such as immigration hearings, court appearances and doctors' appointments should be presented to the teacher and then taken to the attendance secretary in the main office.

12. What happens when students get sick during the day?
A student is encouraged to speak to a teacher or report their illness to the main office. There is no on site school nurse available, however, a staff member with first aid training can be made available.

13. What happens if a student notes a mistake on their report card?
A student should speak to their subject teacher first. If they cannot solve the situation, then they are encouraged to seek speak with their Department Head. The Vice-Principal or Principal may be involved.

14. What if a student has missed too much school and is considering leaving?
They are encouraged to speak to their subject teacher to confirm their attendance and mark. It is advised they meet with their guidance counselor and brainstorm strategies on success.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.